How do mobile speed camera vehicle operate?
A mobile speed camera vehicle must be deployed in the following manner.
- Speed camera vehicles must be legally parked.
- Speed camera vehicles must be deployed in a manner that is visible from the roadside and are prohibited from being deployed in a hidden fashion.
- The position in which the speed camera vehicle is parked must, so far as is practicable, be at the optimal distance from the normal traffic lanes to ensure the safety of the operator and best quality photo, i.e. about one and one half lane widths away from the normal path of vehicles.
- When the speed camera is being deployed, on a roadway, the speed camera vehicle tailgate must either be fully extended or closed.
- The use of private land for the parking of speed camera vehicles is permitted where the occupier of the land has clearly given permission for such use.
- The speed camera vehicle must be parked on a straight section of road so that the operator has adequate reference points for aligning the camera. This ensures that any vehicle, which is being measured and/or photographed, is travelling on a straight section of road at that time.
- Where a speed camera is deployed in an area where drivers are making the transition from a higher speed limit to a lower speed limit the speed camera vehicle must not be positioned closer than 250 (two hundred and fifty) metres from the point where the speed limit reduces. This restriction does not apply within School Zones or Temporary Speed limit sites.
- A speed camera must not be deployed within 250 (two hundred and fifty) metres of the finish of any passing lane.
- In any situation where a camera is operational at a site, a second camera must not be deployed in the same site or in any other site adjoining the first.
- Where a speed camera is deployed in a school zone speed camera site, it must only be operated in the following circumstances:
- between the hours of 0730 hrs to 1800 hrs on a school day; or
- at any other time that a school activity occurs, this includes sports activities held at school grounds