Strategic Research Analyst
Friday, 9 March 2012
$ 74,734 to $101,112 (Band I)
Strategic Research Analyst
· Research and Evaluation Expert
· Data Interrogator
· Innovative and ever changing environment
A position exists with the Policing Development Group at Counties Manukau Police District Headquarters based in Manukau. The role of Strategic Analyst is varied and requires a specialist skill set with applied experience in research and evaluation of new initiatives, continuous improvement projects and the ability to interrogate qualitative and quantiative data.
Having worked closely with Project Managers and Senior Managers, the typical skills you would bring with you as an experienced Strategic Analyst would include:
· Evaluating business needs and being able to contribute to the strategic planning.
· Evaluating system requirements, business process analysis and making sound recommendations.
Ideally you’ll have the following qualifications and attributes:
· Post- Grad Tertiary qualification in the Social Sciences.
· Solid understanding of research, evaluation and analysis.
· Exceptional presentation, verbal and written communication skills (reporting)
· Effective interpersonal skills, highly customer focused.
· Innovative, problem solver and ability to see the big picture
Successful applicants must reside in New Zealand and have Permanent Residency.
For selection purposes each of the above competencies will be considered in relation to the following:
1. Potential to perform well in the position, given a reasonable period of time for
familiarisation and/or training
2. Personal attributes and temperament relevant to the position
3. General health which will allow for the performance of all duties and functions of the
For a detailed position description please visit our website, www.police.govt.nz/jobs
Application forms (POL675) can be downloaded from http://www.police.govt.nz/jobs/supportstaff/resources.html
Applications must include a covering letter, chronological CV and a completed application form (POL675) and email to email@example.com or post to Auckland Vacancies, Private Bag 92002, Auckland by the closing date.
Please note applications that do not include the THREE required forms will not be accepted.
The closing date for applications is 4pm Friday 23rd March 2012.
Assists to develop and maintain strategic partnerships, develop business initiatives and manage change at a District level within a quality customer service framework.
Assists in the provision of project research and planning, advice and support to the District Intelligence Section and members of the management team in the development and future implementation of strategies.
Assists in the efficient functioning of the District by ensuring the provision of the Intelligence led policing
1. Management of Service Delivery
· Initiates, manages and provides advice and support in the development of Area and District strategic projects.
· Assists with projects in support of District and Area Management.
· Ensures project objectives, deliverables, constraints and principal working activities are managed
effectively and efficiently.
· Ensures Area and District projects are completed in a timely, cost effective manner to national Project Support Office standards.
· Promotes District initiates to the Police National Headquarters for development of wider/national
· Provides District input and assists in the implementation of the Police National Headquarters projects.
· Liaises with the Project Support Office.
2. Research and Development
· Contributes to the development of a strategic vision for the District, which will enhance the achievement of Safer Communities Together.
· Contributes to the development and implementation of specific district research projects by:
· Identifying project areas/parameters requiring research
· Carrying out research
· Preparing position papers with recommendations for the District Intelligence O/C
· Contributes to the implementation of recommendations.
· Provides administrative support in terms of on-going, information and assistance.
· Ensuring project/research information and resources are available and released as appropriate to
3. Change Management
· Provides support to the District Intelligence Section O/C managing change in relation to strategic
development and other initiatives at District Level.
· Identifies, develops, facilitates and monitors the effectiveness of change management strategies.
· Identifies obstacles to change and develops appropriate responses.
· Identifies and manages risk.
· Provides information and advice on change management.
4. Relationship Management
· Ensures the development and maintenance of relevant strategic relationships at District level particularly with Local Maori, Iwi representative groups and appropriate cultural groups as key stakeholders of Police.
· Develops and maintains partnerships within a Customer Service framework.
· Develops strategic partnerships on a local basis, including Territorial Local Authorities, Safer Community Councils, Neighbourhood, Business and Rural Support Groups.
· Supports and monitors the development and effectiveness of partnerships at District/Area/Station level.
· Facilitates effective service level agreements and Memoranda of Understanding with external agencies.
· Fosters two-way communication with the Communications Manager to facilitate the dissemination
of information, internally and externally.
· Facilitates two-way communication between the District Intelligence Section and District staff in regard to project management.
· Monitors the development and effectiveness of District communications in conjunction with the District Intelligence Section O/C.
· Reports on issues with national or District.
5. Team Management
· Contributes to the District Intel team.
· Establishes a network with other District and Area Staff.
· Co-operates and work with other members of the Intel team in order to achieve team goals.
· Encourages and supports open honest and constructive relationships with colleagues.
· Manages own training and development needs.
6. Customer Service
· Establishes and maintains a focus on quality customer service by:
· Being responsive and giving priority to customer needs
· Developing mechanisms for detecting actual and potential service delivery problems and finding the
· Ensuring the cultural diversity of the client based is respected in all undertakings
· Assesses customer needs, analyses customer satisfaction, identifies issues and develops and implements appropriate strategies.
· Assesses the changing needs of the customer and implements strategies to respond to them.
· Establishes systems, standards and strategies with stakeholders for delivery of service and continually identifies opportunities for improved effectiveness.
Accountability for Performance
Effective performers take personal responsibility for achieving personal and team goals and targets.
They set clear objectives and are committed to their work. They plan, prioritise and use their time
and energy effectively to achieve desired outcomes. They promote accountability in others and take
responsibility for their own actions and decisions
Challenging for Continuous Improvement
Effective performers are flexible and responsive to the changing needs of the community and
organisation. They constantly seek improvement to ensure effective and efficient service delivery.
They demonstrate the ability to adapt to new situations and promote and encourage initiatives for
personal and organisational improvement
Effective performers seek out and make full use of all available information and experience to
resolve a situation. They analyse the options and associated risks while considering possible
solutions within time constraints. Once the analysis has been completed, they make sound decisions
1. Demonstrated knowledge of research, evaluation and report writing methods.
2. Demonstrated experience in process analysis and project implementation.
3. Demonstrates the ability to build effective relationships at a senior level to support the direction and outcomes of the district.
Post-grad tertiary qualification in relevant field with applied experience.