Before implementing education about alcohol and other drugs, please read the guidelines for drug education.
This resource includes the following topics:
- what are drugs?
- New Zealand Police’s philosophy on drugs
- the legal requirements for schools to be safe places
- links to The New Zealand Curriculum.
- Introducing Choice (PDF, 85KB)
This resource covers:
- the whole-school approach
- steps for implementing Choice.
- Implementing Choice (PDF, 21KB)
- Implementing Choice (DOC, 59KB)
This resource includes additional information on:
- preparing a school policy e.g. why have one, consultation and possible content
- sample school policy on drug use and misuse
- how to handle information about illicit drug use and dealing with disclosure
- reflecting different cultural views and realities in the learning activities
- parent/caregiver and community consultation
- sample text for letter to parents/caregivers
- sample agenda for parent/caregiver consultation meeting.
- Additional information (PDF, 124KB)