Disappointing is how a senior Waikato Police officer is describing video footage that could prove crucial to an investigation into the assault on a Kawhia Police officer being provided to the media instead of investigators.
Western Waikato Area Commander, Inspector Paul Carpenter, said both he and the injured officer viewed the images and commentary around them with some concern.
"It is well known that when a matter is before the courts Police are limited in what they can say in the public domain.
"What I can say however is that having spoken to the officer again today we believe the images, which we must point out are a very selective slice of a prolonged standoff and attack are consistent with statements from both the officer and witnesses."
Mr Carpenter said the first image showed a large man advancing on the officer with arms widespread with a taser presented, a commonly deployed tactical option with the image appearing to be taken prior to O/C spray being used.
"We have previously stated we understand the officer's Police issue Glock pistol was dislodged and returned to the officer when he had retreated to the safety of the local firecrew. We believe this image is of the instance when the pistol was handed back to our injured officer while they were retreating from the threat.
"It is always disappointing in such situations when persons choose to litigate issues before the courts in the public domain as has occurred today. At this point I would like to reiterate our request that anyone with still or video footage contact Police so our investigation team can examine it."
Anyone with still or video footage of Friday night's incident is asked to contact the enquiry team on 07 858 6200.
Alternatively information can also be left anonymously with Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.