Saturday, 8 June 2013 - 10:40am |
National News

Police launch investigations after fatal shooting

2 min read

Police have launched three separate investigations following a burglary which happened early this morning where a man was fatally shot by Police.

The incident began around 4am after Police were notified of multiple security alarm activations at the New Plymouth Golf Club. Officers arrived at the scene and identified that the club house windows had been smashed. The officers set up a cordon and during this time one of the officers has located the two offenders who were on a motorbike leaving the scene.

Acting District Commander Inspector Mark Harrison said: "While I am not prepared to go into any further detail at this stage I can confirm that that the offenders have crashed their bike on the golf course as they tried to leave and a police dog has been deployed and detained one of the offenders. An officer went to assist the dog with the first offender and during this time the second offender yelled threats and shot at the officers which led to Police discharging a firearm."

The scene has been cordoned off and is likely to remain so for a day or two so that a full scene examination can be completed. Full statements will be taken from witnesses over the coming days.

The three separate investigations completed by Police include one that focuses on the incident that occurred this morning and the actions of the deceased. The second investigation will independently look at the actions of Police, which is a matter of course when a Police firearm has been discharged and resulted in a death. A third element will be to look at the general Police policies and procedures. Once again this a matter of course when there has been a Police shooting.

Police are not in a position to name man at this stage as there are still some family members who are yet to be notified.


Note to media: A press conference will be held at the New Plymouth Civil Defence Emergency Management Office,45 Robe Street, New Plymouth, at 3pm today to update media about the incident. Please RSVP to

Media enquiries should be referred to Communications Manager Sara Stavropoulos on 027 702 0850.