Police close e-mail investigation
April 16, 2008, 10:01 am
Police have closed their investigation into the theft of e-mails from former National Party leader Dr Don Brash and have announced that they have been unsuccessful in identifying those responsible for the thefts.
Detective Inspector Harry Quinn, the Officer in Charge of the investigation and Wellington Police District Crime Services Manager, said today that police had been unable to establish with certainty how the e-mails had actually been stolen.
"How the thefts occurred still largely remains a mystery," said Detective Inspector Quinn. "We have eliminated the suggestion that an external 'computer hacker' had breached the computer security within Parliament but there remains many other potential ways in which the crimes could have occurred."
During the initial stages of the enquiry, police were very concerned that Parliamentary Services computer systems had been breached by some external attack. But the investigation has concluded that no unauthorised or unlawful breach took place.
Police became aware of the thefts during the lead up to the 2005 General Election but no formal