Pay a Police infringement fee

The fee must be paid by the due date on the notice.

You must pay the full fee – you cannot pay by instalments. Fees that are not paid in full will be returned and the full fee will remain due for payment.

Online with a credit card

Pay by credit card now

You can pay the full fee online with a Visa or MasterCard credit card. This service is provided by Westpac who charges a convenience fee of three percent for this service. New Zealand Police does not receive any part of this fee.

Please note

  • You must pay the full fee – instalments or part payments are not accepted.
  • You must enter the correct notice number and the full name written on the notice so that your payment is allocated correctly.
  • If payment is made using a credit card outside of New Zealand, any currency conversion will be done according to the terms and conditions of the card. There may be currency conversion or other fees charged by your card issuer.

For help contact the Police Infringement Bureau.


By internet banking

You can pay the full fee by direct credit from your bank account. Instalments or part-payments are not accepted.

Go to your bank's website to pay by Internet banking:

Note: Some mobile internet banking applications do not allow you to edit the notice number.  If you make an error in the notice number or can't enter the correct notice number the fee paid will not be credited to the correct notice and the matter may be transferred to Ministry of Justice for fines enforcement, with additional fees. 

If your mobile application does not allow you to edit the notice number, please use a computer to pay via internet banking or pay using another method.

Internet banking process

This is a guide for paying your infringement fee by internet banking. If you need help, please contact your bank.

  1. Go to your bank's website and select the option to set up a 'bill payment'.
  2. Select the option to 'add a new payee' and select 'Police Infringement Bureau' from the list of payees. You do not need our bank account details.
  3. You must enter the correct notice number into the payment reference field so we can allocate your payment correctly, eg PV0256359, PE0263596 or PC0248569.
  4. Find the car registration and driver licence number on the notice and enter them into the 'code' and 'particulars' (or any other available) reference fields.
  5. Enter the full amount of the infringement notice.

Please note

  • If you have already made a bill payment for a previous Police notice it is important that you update the correct notice number, car registration and driver licence number for each payment.

In person at a Westpac bank

You can pay the full amount by cash, cheque or EFTPOS at your nearest New Zealand branch of Westpac.

  • Take your infringement notice with you so Westpac can allocate your payment correctly.
  • Keep your receipt.

By post

You can send a cheque for the full amount in the mail to:

Police Infringement Bureau

Private Bag 4740
Christchurch 8154
New Zealand

Please note

  • You must pay the full fee – instalments or part payments are not accepted.
  • Make the cheque payable to New Zealand Police.
  • Fill in your payment details if it is not already printed on the remittance advice at the bottom of the notice. Enclose the remittance advice with your cheque.
  • Do not send cash.
  • Allow enough time for your cheque to reach us before the due date.

How to write a bank cheque

  • A bank cheque (or bank draft) can be issued by most banks. The bank will usually charge a fee for this service.
  • The cheque is to be written in $NZD for the amount of the infringement fee.
  • The bank will give you the cheque to send to us.

How to write a foreign currency cheque

  • Convert the amount of the infringement fee to the equivalent of foreign currency using the current exchange rate. One example of an online currency converter is NZFOREX.
  • Cheques must be written in the converted amount of foreign currency.
  • The following foreign currency cheques are accepted:

    United States Dollar (USD), Pound Sterling (GBP), Australian Dollar (AUD), Euro (EUR), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Swiss Franc (CHF), Danish Krone (DKK), Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), Japanese Yen (JPY), Swedish Krona (SEK), Singapore Dollar (SGD), Thai Baht (THB), South African Rand (ZAR).         

    We cannot accept any other foreign currency cheques, as our bank cannot process them.


Non-payment of infringement fees

If the fee is not paid by the final due date, the infringement is automatically filed in court and it becomes a fine for collection by the Ministry of Justice. They will send you a Notice of Fine and you must contact or pay the fine to the Ministry of Justice. A court cost will be added to the fine when it gets filed in court.  

If you provide the wrong notice number your payment liability for your notice remains outstanding. It is your responsibility to fulfil your payment obligations. You must carefully check all information you enter to ensure it is correct.