Communicating with Police

Emergency: call 111

Calling 111 is free from public telephones and mobile phones.

When you dial 111 you will be asked which emergency service you want: Police, Fire or Ambulance.

For Police an emergency is anything that is happening now, or has just happened, where:

  • People are in danger
  • Property is in danger of loss or damage
  • A crime is being, or has just been committed, and the person or persons responsible for it are nearby
  • There is a major public inconvenience

An emergency TXT service for people with hearing or speech difficulties is available if you have difficulty hearing or talking on the phone. You can register now for the 111 TXT service.


Reporting online

You can now report lost property or intentional property damage (to buildings, vehicles and other possessions) online.

This is phase one of our Online Reporting Trial as we modernise our service channels to make it easier for people to engage with us.

We recommend using Google Chrome or the latest version of Safari to complete this report.

Online Reporting (non-emergency)

When using a tablet or smartphone to access the online reporting tool, a Wi-Fi connection may provide the best performance.

If you are using the online tool for the first time, and experiencing a loading issue, we suggest that you refresh.

Other online options are reporting:

Find out more about how to report crime.

Update previous report

After you have made a report to Police and been given a reference number, you can use the Update Previous Report Form to provide additional information (including photos and documents). You can also use this form to withdraw your report. 

Phone or visit your nearest police station

In non-emergency situations, such as reporting a crime like burglary which happened some time ago, you can either report by calling or visitng your nearest police station.

When you make a report to Police you will receive a Police Acknowledgement Form (PAF) with a reference number.

Once you have made your report police should respond within a reasonable time. If you have questions about your report you should call or visit the police station again and tell them the reference number.

Lost Passport - when reporting a lost passport, you must give the passport number to police.

Language and communication difficulties

If you have difficulty communicating with police because of language, some options available include:

  • A friend or family member. You may use a friend or family member as your interpreter for talking to the Police.
  • Language Line. Police can provide an interpreter on the telephone. This is a free service called Language Line. Ask for Language Line when you call police or visit a police station and tell them what language you speak. Language Line is only available from 9:00am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday and Saturday between 9am-2pm.
  • Bilingual communications staff.A number of our communications staff are bilingual, covering about 18 languages in total, including Mandarin.
    When communicating to Police, ensure you’re able to tell an English-speaking person which language you do speak using the English terminology.
    Regardless of the language you speak, don’t hesitate to call 111 in an emergency.

Police in your communities

Ethnic and Asian liaison officers

Police have special officers working in ethnic communities around the country. They work with communities to help them understand and access police services, provide information to police about community concerns and to work with police investigating and preventing crime involving ethnic communities.

They are happy to listen to your concerns and work together with you to improve safety in ethnic communities.


  • Ethnic liaison officers - To contact a liaison officer in your area who can help you access police services.
  • Local police - To find out where your local police station is and how to get in contact with your local police.