Homicide Victims Report 2018 and Historic NZ Murder Rate Report 1926-2017
Homicide Victims Report 2018 (PDF, 181KB)
A Summary of Statistics about Victims of Murder, Manslaugher, and Infanticide
Report at a glance:
- Between 2007 – 2017 there were 737 people killed by homicide (ie murder and manslaughter offences).
- Māori account for approximately a third of homicide victims.
- Males represented 62 percent of all victims.
- The lowest annual homicide figure of 50 was in 2017.
- Around 7 out of 10 homicides were murders.
- Of all family-linked homicide victims, 43% were male and 57% were female.
- Around 1 in 5 homicides was committed by a current or ex-partner – 75% of victims were female.
- Children under the age of five made up 12 percent of homicide victims.
Note: the report excludes road fatalities
Historic NZ Murder Rate Report 1926-2017 (PDF, 64KB)
The table shows Murder offences collated from existing electronic and microfiche data from previous Police annual reports and crime statistics and the current statistics on Homicide Victims.