How to report a crime or incident

There are various ways you can report a crime. Always call 111 in an emergency.

Emergency: call 111

Call 111 and ask for Police when:

  • someone is badly injured or in danger
  • there's a serious risk to life or property
  • a crime is being committed and the offenders are still there or have just left
  • you've come across a major public inconvenience, such as trees blocking a highway
  • any of these things are happening now or have just happened.

If you can't decide if it's a real emergency and you're still worried, call 111 and ask us. We'll help you work out what to do.

An emergency TXT service for people with hearing or speech difficulties is available if you have difficulty hearing or talking on the phone. You can register now for the 111 TXT service.


The 105 non-emergency number is for things that have already happened and don’t need urgent Police assistance.

105 is a nationwide, 24/ 7 service that’s available via phone (105) and online (

Reporting online

We encourage you to go online to to:

  • Report any situation that doesn’t require immediate Police or Emergency Services attendance
  • Request an update on a report already made or add to an existing report.


Other online options are reporting:

Reporting crime by phone

If something you’re worried about is happening right now (e.g. a crime is taking place or if anyone's safety is at risk) call 111. If your matter isn’t urgent please call 105.

105 is a national non-emergency number that will be answered 24/7 by Police. The call taker will work to resolve the matter, which might include putting the caller through to their local station for it to be dealt with.

Both 111 for emergencies and 105 for non-emergencies are staffed with highly trained people who are able to help callers with their specific issues.

Any report taken by Police will be analysed to see whether there is sufficient information to pursue. Police will contact you to let you know what action has been taken.

If you have already made a report to Police, you can go online to and request an update, add more information (including photos and documents) or withdraw your report.

Reporting crime in person

Head to your local station to talk to the person at the front counter and they will tell you what to do next. You may be able to speak to an officer straight away.

Appointments aren’t always necessary, but to ensure someone will be there to assist you it is best to phone ahead - especially if your nearest station is a small or rural station. Call 105 to connect with your local station.

General enquiry

If you can't find the answer to your query in our Frequently Asked Questions you can make a general enquiry online or visit your nearest Police Station.

Reporting rape or sexual assault

We understand that reporting a rape or sexual assault is very difficult, but we will make sure that you get the support you need to help you through. Get advice for victims of rape or sexual assault.

Hate Crime

If you are aware of racially motivated abuse, violence, threats, or intimidation against members of your whānau, or community you should report it.

There are also a range of anti-racism tools and resources available on the Human Rights Commission website.

Report a bad driver or traffic incident

There are two ways to report bad driving and traffic incidents.

Urgent but not life-threatening driving incidents: Call *555

For incidents such as minor crashes (non-injury), continuous poor driving, traffic congestion, breakdowns and obstructions on the highway, call *555 from a mobile phone. *555 is not intended to take the place of the 111 emergency number. Always call 111 in an emergency. *555 calls are answered with less priority than 111 calls.

Non-urgent driving incidents

For driving incidents that are minor or no longer continuing to be a danger to the public, complete a Community Roadwatch report, either via the online Community Roadwatch form or at your nearest police station. No investigation or prosecution will take place for a Community Roadwatch report. If you wish the incident to be investigated with a view to the offender being prosecuted you must lodge a formal complaint at your nearest police station.

Report crime anonymously: contact Crime Stoppers

Crime Stoppers is an independent charity working to solve and prevent crime. It’s a way for people, who for whatever reason may be reluctant to tell Police what they know, to anonymously report information about crime and criminals via an independent third party. You can contact Crime Stoppers anonymously when you know about a crime that has been, or is being committed, you suspect a crime is being planned, or any other activity you think is illegal. To report a crime anonymously:

  • Call Crime Stoppers free on 0800 555 111. Crime Stoppers gives an absolute guarantee that calls cannot be traced. Calls are not recorded and the caller ID number is not able to be viewed in the call centre.
  • Fill in the secure online Giving information form.

Find out more on the Crime Stoppers website.

Report cybercrime

Cybercrime covers a wide range of online offending where computers or devices are used to facilitate a crime or are the target of the crime.

Reporting cybercrime is just like reporting any other offence. Call 111 in an emergency. For example, if you’ve received an electronic message with an immediate and believable threat such as "I'm coming around now and I'm going to kill you", that would be an emergency.

For non-emergency incidents or crimes you can still report by phone using 105, online to 105 or in person.

Report any online internet safety concerns and harmful digital communications issues to Netsafe.

Report any cyber security issues to CERT NZ or by phoning 0800 CERT NZ (0800 2378 69) Monday to Friday 7 am – 7pm.

Netsafe and CERT NZ may in some circumstances and with your consent, share some information with Police.  This is not a Police report.

To report cybercrime to Police you will need to speak with a police representative or enter it online so that we can get all the right information.