Give feedback about Police

We welcome your feedback because it helps us improve our services, and gives us the opportunity to address things that need putting right.

Infringement notices

If you have a question or complaint about a traffic infringement notice, please contact the Police Infringement Bureau.

Provide positive feedback

It’s great to hear when we’ve done a good job. If you would like to provide positive feedback about Police as an organisation or thank someone who works for Police, let us know and we can share it.

You can provide positive feedback:

Express your dissatisfaction or make a complaint

Police aims to provide excellent service. It’s important to let us know when we haven’t done a good job. If you’re unhappy with the service Police have provided you can either:

  • provide feedback to Police expressing your dissatisfaction
  • make a complaint to the Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA), or alternatively, directly to Police. If you make a complaint directly to Police, we will in turn notify the IPCA of the complaint.

Whichever option you choose, we will keep you informed. We will take your feedback seriously, investigate it fully, and record it accurately.

If you provide feedback about Police, you can expect:

  • to have your feedback taken and treated seriously
  • to be treated courteously and with respect
  • to not be discriminated against
  • to receive helpful answers to your questions
  • your feedback to be investigated thoroughly and impartially
  • to be advised of the procedures for actioning your feedback
  • to have your feedback recorded.

Provide feedback to Police expressing your dissatisfaction

Expressions of dissatisfaction are for less serious cases where you are unhappy about the service you received and want an explanation.

Expressions of dissatisfaction are dealt with by your local police, who will work with you to address your concerns.

You should provide us with feedback if:

  • you felt our service was too slow or otherwise not up to standard
  • you felt that our staff displayed a poor attitude, were impolite or lacked empathy
  • you were given wrong or inaccurate information
  • you felt that you were treated unfairly
  • you feel that crime is not being policed well in your area.

You can provide feedback expressing your dissatisfaction:

Make a complaint

You can complain to the Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) or directly to Police about:

  • Police misconduct
  • Police neglect of duty
  • Police practices, policies, and procedures
  • the standard of service you have received.

Make a complaint to the IPCA:

The IPCA oversees complaints about the NZ Police.  They are headed by a Judge, are totally independent and not part of NZ Police. You can contact the IPCA:

  • online - the quickest way to complain is to use their online complaint form at
  • by email - send an email to
  • in writing to IPCA, PO Box 25221, Wellington 6140
    • you can download a complaint form from their website to print out and send, or call the IPCA on 0800 503 728  and they'll post one out to you.

Make a complaint to Police:

If you make a complaint directly to Police, we will in turn notify the IPCA of the complaint.

You can make a complaint about Police:

  • online – complaint form
  • by phone – call 105
  • in writing directly to the Commissioner of Police at Police National Headquarters, PO Box 3017, Wellington 6140
  • at any police station
    • if you wish, you can have the services of an interpreter
    • you are welcome to bring your solicitor, friend or relative when you make your complaint
    • if you are unable or reluctant to make a complaint at a police station, arrangements can be made for you to be interviewed elsewhere.