Firearms Community Advisory Forum
New Zealand Police has established a Firearms Community Advisory Forum to act in a consultative and advisory capacity to Police.
The purpose of the Forum is to:
- provide a formal mechanism for representatives from the firearms community to input to the Police on policy relating to the Arms Act 1983 or the Arms Regulations 1992; and
- review and make recommendations for consideration by Police on firearms-related matters.
Membership of the Forum comprises both Police employees and non-Police employees. The non-Police members were selected for their:
- broad skills, knowledge and understanding of firearms and issues/legislation relating to firearms
- relevant practical experience and networks within the firearms community
- ability to represent a diversity of perspectives within the firearms community
- personal attributes and ability to work constructively with, and make a contribution to the Forum
- being a representative of an incorporated group (who can represent the views of the group rather than their individual view).
FCAF members represent the following groups and organisations.
- Council of Licensed Firearm Owners Inc.
- National Rifle Association of NZ
- New Zealand Service Rifle Association
- New Zealand Deerstalkers’ Association
- Pistol New Zealand
- Federated Farmers of NZ
- Rural Women of New Zealand
- Firearms Safety Council of Aotearoa
- Dealer Representative
- Retail Representative
- Whakatüpato Representative
- Fish and Game NZ
- Professional Guides Association
- Game Animal Council
- Handloaders Association
- New Zealand Clay Target Association (NZCTA)
Forum meetings will only take place when Police is dealing with specific policy issues relating to the administration of the Arms Act. Police anticipates the Forum will meet one or two times a year.
Minutes from Forum meetings will be published on this website. Any recommendations the Forum makes will also be published. As the Forum is a consultative and advisory body, any recommendations will be considered by Police but they will not be binding.