Homicide Victims Report 2021 and Historic NZ Murder Rate Report 1926-2021
Homicide Victims Report 2021 (PDF 670KB)
A Summary of Statistics about Victims of Murder, Manslaughter, and Infanticide
Report at a glance:
- Between 2007 – 2020 there were 1,005 people killed by homicide (i.e., murder and manslaughter offences).
- Māori account for approximately a third of homicide victims.
- Males represented 65 percent of all victims.
- The lowest annual homicide figure of 46 was in 2017.
- Around 7 out of 10 homicides were murders.
- Of all family-linked homicide victims, 44% were male and 56% were female.
- Around 16% of homicides were committed by a current or ex-partner – 74% of these victims were female.
- Children under the age of five made up 10 percent of homicide victims.
Note: the report excludes road fatalities
Historic NZ Murder Rate Report 1926-2021 (PDF 166KB)
The table shows Murder offences collated from existing electronic and microfiche data from previous Police annual reports and crime statistics and the current statistics on Homicide Victims.