Keeping Ourselves Safe resources for Middle primary
Note: These resources were revised in October 2020. If your school still needs the old resources for any reason, please contact your School Community Officer.
The learning activities in Keeping Ourselves Safe are arranged in focus areas. Research suggests that an effective programme should include learning experiences from each of the focus areas.
- Download an overview of the entire primary school programme (PDF, 139KB)
- Download an overview of the entire primary school programme (DOCX, 28KB)
All focus areas on this page were updated in 2020.
Focus area 1: Confident me
Students learn to verbalise their feelings confidently. They practise a decision-making process that will help them to make safe decisions for themselves and others.
- Confident me (Google Doc)
- Confident me (PDF, 733KB)
- Confident me (DOCX, 70KB)
- Take the Tui tour (PDF 1.5MB)
- Nikau and Mokomoko game board (PDF 1.1MB)
- Nikau game cards (PDF 97KB)
- Mokomoko game cards (PDF 97K)
Focus area 2: Safe or unsafe
Students identify potentially unsafe situations in both the real world and the digital envorinment.
Focus area 3: No excuse for abuse
Students understand what abuse is and know that any abuse is wrong, should be reported, and is not their fault. They learn to identify the tricks, bribes, or secrets often used by abusers.
- No excuse for abuse (Google Doc)
- No excuse for abuse (PDF, 306KB)
- No excuse for abuse (DOCX, 40KB)
- Tricks bribes and secrets (PDF, 2.9MB)
Focus area 4: Why should I tell?
Students learn to stop inappropriate touch or behaviour, say “no” confidently, move away, and report what has happened.