Sunday, 24 September 2006 - 2:20pm |
National News

Police Officer Injured in West Auckland

2 min read

West Auckland Police are investigating two separate incidents involving large numbers of young adults in the suburbs of Green Bay and Massey overnight.

At about 10.30pm on Saturday 23 September 2006, Police attended an incident at an address in Cliffview Drive Green Bay, after neighbours reported a large number of youths were partying, drinking. A brawl was taking place.

On arrival Police found a group of about 30 youths gathered on the road. This group quickly swelled to more than 100 as others came out onto the street. A large party was in progress at the address. Police acted swiftly to stop fighting.

As the Police began to close down the party and move the large assembly on, a Police Officer was hit by a bottle directly on the forehead. It knocked him unconscious. An ambulance was called and medics attended to the officer at the scene.

The Officer was taken to North Shore Hospital with wounds to the head and concussion. He has since been released and is now recovering at his home. He will be off duty for several days. Police made three arrests at this incident and their enquiries are continuing.

In the second incident, Police went to Waimumu Road, in the suburb of Massey, at about 12.12am, on Sunday 24 September 2006.

On arrival they found a large number of youths drinking, brawling, damaging cars, throwing bottles, and generally acting in a reckless and disorderly manner. It is estimated there were as many as 50 or more youths and young people who were engaged in large scale fighting.

At the scene a young man was discovered to be seriously injured after being knocked unconscious during a brawl which took place on the road.

An ambulance transported the 20 year old male Maori to Auckland Hospital where his condition is currently described as critical but stable.

Police say the young man has been seriously assaulted with an unknown weapon and he has massive fractures to the head. Ambulance medics worked on the victim for more than 45 minutes at the scene before he was transported to hospital.

Police have this morning been interviewing witnesses to the large scale brawl, and further enquiries are being made. Four males have been arrested. They'll be appearing in Court this week on assault and disorderly behaviour charges.


Kevin [Kev] Loughlin

District Communications Manager

North Shore/Waitakere/Rodney Police

Telephone: 09-488-9758 - Mobile: 027-281-0271