On Sunday (20 March) the Police Vehicle Recovery Team will be endeavouring to clear two more car parks of vehicles abandoned after the earthquake.
Owners of vehicles in Bedford Row car park, situated between Lichfield Street and Bedford Row, and owners of vehicles in The Crossing car park situated on Lichfield Street, just down from the Colombo Street intersection, should read the following information carefully.
Bedford Row: Owners should assemble on the corner of Barbadoes Street and Moorhouse Avenue at 11am. Owners will hand keys to Police and wait at the Barbadoes/Moorhouse intersection while the vehicle is retrieved by the Police team
The Crossing: Owners should assemble on the corner of Barbadoes Street and Moorhouse Avenue at 3pm. Owners will hand keys to Police and wait at the Barbadoes/Moorhouse intersection while the vehicle is retrieved by the Police team
It is important to stress that these car parks are in the 'no go zone' of the city with extra safety precautions in place on Sunday to facilitate recovery. If owners don't use this window of opportunity to attend with their keys, it may be some considerable time in the future before a further attempt can be made to recover a vehicle.
It is important that vehicle owners also note the following:
• Bring keys to the vehicle
• Bring ID and proof of ownership.
• If collecting on behalf of the owner bring a letter of authorisation.
• Be dropped off as there is no parking available
• One person to be dropped off per vehicle as space is limited.
• Consider bringing a chair and a book as the process will take some time
• Shelter and toilet will be provided
• No member of the public/owner will be allowed into the cordon area to retrieve their own vehicle for safety reasons
• Car park clearance is subject to final engineer's clearance on the day
• Only go to the assembly point on the day your specific car park is being cleared. Vehicles will not be recovered from other locations not specified.
• Please be patient
• If you haven't already registered your vehicle please do so via the Car Finder application on www.police.govt.nz. Please only register once.
Further locations will continue to be advertised on police.govt.nz with locations announced 48 hours prior to collection to provide owners with time to make arrangements.
Christchurch Media Liaison Team: 027 432 0960 or ChchPoliceMediaLiason@police.govt.nz
Public Affairs: 04 460 2986 or 04 474 9482