Thursday, 27 September 2007 - 4:36pm |
National News

Stanmore Road shooting- Police inquiry release no 2

2 min read

Sequence of events - looking at initial statements from those involved and witnesses

Occupants of a house cnr Trent Street and Avonside Drive reported to police that a flatmate had damaged a vehicle outside the property with a weapon.

He then left the house and the vehicle.

A few minutes later a man approached the occupants of a vehicle on Stanmore Road.

He moved on and tried other vehicles.

He then broke a car window and was approached by a police officer.

The man advanced on the police officer with a hammer and was shot after being warned.

Several shots were fired by the officer using a Glock pistol.

The man was hit twice - one fatal to the chest area, and also to the leg.

There were three officers at the scene.

The officer checked the man immediately after the shooting.

Ambulance arrived shortly after within 9 minutes.

The body of the man who was shot in an incident has been removed from the scene at Stanmore Road. The post mortem will take place this afternoon. Formal identification has not yet taken place.

The victim's family has been offered support through Victim Support and supported by police and a police officer has been assigned to the family to liaise with them.

The officer involved is being supported by Police Welfare officers and the Police Association.

There are more than 30 investigators, plus specialist police staff working on a criminal inquiry for the homicide - which will be overviewed by the PCA for their separate inquiry.

Police will also conduct an inquiry on behalf of the Coroner.

There is no indication at this stage of the inquiry that the victim had a firearm.

It was hoped that the Stanmore Road scene would be cleared today but the scene examination is not yet complete and it is believed the road will be reopened tomorrow.

The inquiry team would like to thank those people who live in Stanmore Road for their patience while the scene examination is completed.

Anyone who was in the area and who has information please contact the inquiry base 03 3637 620.

Supt Sandra Manderson

District Commander