Saturday, 3 November 2007 - 3:41pm |

Escaped prisoner found near Interislander ferry terminal

1 min read

Escaped Wellington Prison inmate John Frederick Ercison is now back in custody.

The 45-year-old gave himself up when approached by a police officer near the ferry terminal around 1.30pm and was taken into custody without any resistance. He has been arrested and will appear in the Wellington District Court on Monday on charges relating to his escape.

Detective Senior Sergeant Scott Miller, Wellington CIB, said police had three excellent confirmed sightings of Ericson called in over a three hour period by members of the public late this morning.

The first was from staff at a cafe in the Thorndon Quay who became suspicious of a man fitting Ericon's description and they asked him to leave. Then at midday more calls were received from the public about a man fitting Ericson's description in the rail yards. The third sighting put Ericson in the Kaiwharawhara terminal area off the old Hutt Road.

Police cordoned nearby streets and Ericson gave himself up when approached by an officer at one of the cordons.

He was still wearing the same clothes he had been wearing at the time of his escape from a Wellington Prison work detail some time between 11am and midday yesterday.

"We're still speaking with Ericson to see where he has been for the last 24 hours. The important message is that he's been caught, he gave himself up without any trouble, and Wellingtonians, especially those on the Miramar Peninsula can now rest easier.

"Police really thank the public for the great response with possible sightings you've given us in the hunt for this man. Ericson has been caught as a result of public vigilance. That's helped our determination to get the investigation wrapped up quickly and without any one getting hurt."

Detective Senior Sergeant Miller said the police team still has some aspects of the investigation to complete - including finding where Ericson has been during the last 24 hours.