Fireman's funeral arrangements for media Due to technical difficulties this message is being transmitted on the Fire Service's behalf by NZ Police.
Funeral for SSO Derek Lovell
April 10 2008
Media are invited to a photo opportunity at 11am, tomorrow, Friday 11 April, at Hamilton Fire Station. It will be an opportunity to photograph SSO Lovell's coffin before a vintage fire-engine will carry it to the funeral at 12.15 (along the route marked on the map below).
The funeral for Senior Station Officer Derek Lovell will be held at 1pm, in the Centennial Lounge of Te Rapa Racecourse, tomorrow, Friday 11 April.
Media are invited to attend the funeral, however the Lovell family ask that some requests are observed.
• The Lovell family have requested privacy on the day of the funeral. They will not participate in any interviews. Media are asked not to approach the family.
• The wife of the deceased Millie has requested that photos are only to be taken of her entering the service and leaving.
• Any injured firefighters attending the funeral have also asked for privacy, specifically that no photographs be taken of them as they enter and leave the service.
• Photographers are asked to remain in the designated areas provided.
• The entry stairs to Centennial Lounge are banned from photographers and journalists.
• Tomorrow is the day that the Fire Service would like to mourn the loss of one of their colleagues with dignity and privacy. Therefore, firefighters attending the funeral will not be commenting on any operational or investigative aspects of Saturday's incident.
For more information contact:
027 272 1070
Rotorua Chief Fire Officer Wayne Bedford is available on the day to discuss aspects of Fire Service funeral protocol
027 436 0065
Funeral procession route