Consultation on regulations to enable firearms law changes has now closed
Further changes to the Arms Act 1983 (contained in the Arms Legislation Act 2020) will come into force on 24 June 2021 and new regulations are required to support these. Submissions were received on some policy proposals for potential inclusion in the regulations to support the implementation of amendments, and to adjust or clarify some existing regulations.
The feedback will help us assess whether, and if so how, we may need to amend the proposals to meet the objectives of the legislation.
Police will now analyse and consider all submissions received and report back to the Minister on the outcome of the public consultation and recommendations on changes to the Arms Regulations. This report will then be considered by the Minister before making recommendations to Cabinet.
- Media Release: Consultation on new regulations for firearms safety
- Proposal document: Proposals for new regulations under the Arms Act 1983 (Phase One) (PDF 1.18MB)
Proactive release of Public Consultation on proposals for new Regulations under the Arms Act 1983 papers
On 22 March 2021, Police released a Public Consultation Document on proposals for new regulations under the Arms Act 1983.
The following papers relate to seeking Cabinet’s agreement to the release of a Public Consultation Document with proposals for new and amended regulations in the Arms Regulations 1992.
Key sections of the Official Information Act 1982 under which information has been withheld
Certain information in the documents has been withheld under one or more of the following sections of the Official Information Act 1982:
- section 9(2)(a) to protect the privacy of natural persons.
- section 9(2)(f)(iv) to maintain the constitutional conventions which protect the confidentiality of advice tendered by officials.
Cabinet papers and related documents
- Draft Public Consultation Document on Amendments to the Arms Regulations and Two RCOI Recommendations (PDF 1.02MB)
- Arms Act 1983: Release of public consultation document for regulations (PDF 826KB)
- Cabinet paper – Arms Act 1983: Release of public consultation on proposals for regulations (PDF 656MB)
- SWC Cabinet Minute – Amendments to the Arms Act 1983: Release of Consultation Document (PDF 669KB)