Regulatory Impact Statements
Regulatory Impact Statements (RIS) prepared by New Zealand Police will be published on this page.
More information about Regulatory impact statements can be found on The Treasury’s website.
Regulatory Impact Statement: Arms Amendment Regulations 2021
This Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) was prepared by New Zealand Police, signed on 28 July 2021, and considered by Cabinet on 4 August 2021. It assessed the best options for regulations that were needed for implementation of amendments to the Arms Act 1983 included in the Arms Legislation Act 2020, which came into force on June and December 2020 and June 2021. In particular it looked at options relating to
- Conditions related to security precautions (dealers)
- Carriage and use of firearms by dealers
- General security of firearms (all firearm licence holders)
- Firearms in vehicles (all firearm licence holders)
- Carriage of firearms in public places by licence holders
- Supply of particulars by applicants for firearms licences
- Criteria for finding a person is not fit and proper to possess firearms.