Praise and complain

Two hands in hand shake. Your feedback about Police is welcome and important. Receiving feedback helps Police improve both the quality of service we provide and the conduct of individual Police employees.

For questions about your infringement notice, contact the Police Infringement Bureau.

Praise Police

If you are pleased with the service you have received from us, we welcome praise and compliments about individual members of Police or about Police in general. The information you provide helps Police to recognise and share examples of good practice in order to improve the service we deliver. We will pass your comments on to the employee and their supervisor. If you would like to thank a police officer who has helped you, but you don't know their name, fill in as much of the online praise form as you can. This will help Police pass your thanks on. Submit praise online.

Complain about Police

Police aims to provide excellent service always, but if something does go wrong we want you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve the quality of service provided by Police and individual Police employees. You should complain if you believe:

  • Police have done something wrong
  • you were not treated fairly by Police
  • you are dissatisfied with the service you have received.

Two levels of complaints you can make:

  • an expression of dissatisfaction
  • a formal complaint.

Make an expression of dissatisfaction

If you are unhappy about the service you received from Police, would like an explanation and your concerns followed up but don’t want to make a formal complaint, you can:

Make a formal complaint

This process addresses serious concerns about:

  • the misconduct or neglect of duty by a Police employee
  • a policy, procedure or practice of New Zealand Police
  • the standard of service you have received.

If you complain about Police you can expect to:

  • have your complaint taken and treated seriously
  • be treated courteously and with respect
  • not be discriminated against
  • ask questions and receive helpful answers
  • have your complaint investigated thoroughly and impartially
  • have the services of an interpreter if required
  • be advised of the procedures for actioning your complaint
  • have your complaint recorded.

The Independent Police Conduct Authority will be told about your complaint. The Authority maintains independent oversight of complaints that have been made against the Police. Visit the Independent Police Conduct Authority website.

Please note that all complaints are referred to the Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA), who will make contact with you in relation to your complaint.

How to make a formal complaint to Police

You can:

  • submit a formal complaint online
  • make a complaint in person.
    Go to any police station and tell them you want to make a complaint against Police. If you are unable or reluctant to make a complaint at a police station, arrangements will be made for you to be interviewed somewhere else. You are welcome to bring your solicitor, friend or relative when you make your complaint. Find your nearest police station.
  • make a complaint by post.
    Write to your local Police District Commander or directly to the Commissioner of Police at Police National Headquarters, PO Box 3017, Wellington 6140

How to make a formal complaint to the Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA)

You can:

  • submit a complaint to IPCA online
  • phone the IPCA - toll-free 0800 503 728
  • write to the IPCA, PO Box 25221, Wellington 6146

Download information about making a complaint

You can download information in different languages on how to make a complaint.