Tuesday, 6 November 2007 - 4:01pm |
National News

Boy Violently Ill After Eating Cake Given By Stranger

2 min read

Waitakere CIB is investigating an incident yesterday in which a 12 year old boy experienced violent convulsions after eating a piece of cake provided by an unknown male.

Detective Sergeant Megan Goldie says the incident happened at about 5.00pm last night, Monday 5 November 2007, while the boy was walking in Universal Drive, Henderson.

"A man who was on foot approached the boy and invited him to have a piece of cake. The boy accepted and within minutes he became violently ill."

"The victim experienced disorientation, plus other symptoms that included vomiting, twitching, buzzing and extreme dizziness, before he finally fell asleep. The boy was treated in hospital and we're now awaiting tests results to determine if any illegal substances were in the cake," she said.

"Clearly this offender had no concern whatsoever for the welfare or well being of this young boy. We urge all parents to be always vigilant on the daily activities of their children. The public's assistance is needed to find this offender and find him fast before another young person in our community is similarly affected."

Police have issued a description of the man they are seeking. Male - aged about 40 years - brown skinned - long black dreadlocks that come down almost to the waist, average build, and tall - about 183 cm in height.

"This person's actions are of concern. Anyone who knows the identity of this described male, or has seen such a man in the locality of Universal Drive, Henderson, or its vicinity in the past 24 hours, please call us at the Waitakere CIB immediately on telephone 09 839 0600," Detective Goldie said.


"Police offer this advice to parents for them to reinforce to their children."

  •If the child does not know the person who offers them something, or asks them to do something - the child should simply say NO!

  •The child should also get away from the person they do not know.

  •They should go straight to somebody they do know and trust.

If parents want further advice on how to keep their children safe they can contact their local school regarding the various Police Youth Education Service programmes that are being implemented throughout New Zealand.