Monday, 27 May 2013 - 1:44pm |
National News

Inexperienced drivers reach horrific speeds

1 min read

Nelson Bays Police impounded three cars over the weekend in response to what has been described as horrifically dangerous driving.

About 11.30pm on Friday two cars were seen racing on Whakatu Drive. One car was clocked at just over 150kmh and the other vehicle, which was overtaking at the time, was clocked at 179kmh.

Sergeant Stu Wright of the Strategic Traffic Unit said both vehicles were being driven by teenagers, aged 17 and 18, who had passengers onboard.

"These drivers are both inexperienced. They showed reckless disregard for their own safety, the safety of their passengers and that of other innocent road users," Sergeant Wright said.

Both cars were impounded under the boy racer legislation and the drivers' licences were immediately suspended for 28 days.

About 2am on Sunday Police spotted a car on Te Mamaku Drive (SH60) travelling at 172kmh. That car was also impounded under the boy racer legislation and the driver immediately suspended for 28 days.

Charges are yet to be laid for all three drivers.

Meanwhile, shortly after midnight on Sunday morning a Police patrol indicated for a vehicle to stop on Waimea Road. When the officer activated his flashing lights the driver took off, reaching speeds up to 150kmh down Rutherford Street.

The 19 year old driver then crashed at the corner of Halifax Street and was arrested. She will appear in the Nelson District Court on 17 June charged with reckless driving, failing to stop, assaulting a Police Officer, resisting arrest, driving while forbidden, drink driving and possession of cannabis.

Acting Tasman District Road Policing Manager Senior Sergeant Phil Wooding said six people had died already this calendar year in New Zealand while fleeing from Police.

"This young woman could easily have become our next road statistic," he said.

"She came to attention because she was travelling at about 60kmh in a 50kmh zone. Officers wanted to deal with that and do a breath test. Her reaction and subsequent behaviour was extremely dangerous," Senior Sergeant Wooding said.