There are over 300 staff (including 212 prosecutors) within the Police Prosecution Service. They are spread between a national office in Wellington and 41 offices throughout the country, servicing over 60 district courts.
The Police Prosecution Service:
- Conducts proceedings for all category 1-3 criminal and traffic prosecutions commenced by Police, from first appearance to disposal, including Case Review and Trial as required (except where the proceeding becomes a Crown Prosecution e.g. jury trials)
- Conducts proceedings for Youth Court prosecutions
- advocates for Police at coroners' inquests as required
- supports Districts at miscellaneous hearings as required
- administers the Police Adult Diversion Scheme.