State of emergency important notice

State of National Emergency

Police service update

At 11.59pm on Wednesday 25 March 2020, New Zealand moved to COVID-19 Alert Level 4.

This means New Zealanders not working in essential services must stay at home and stop all interactions with others outside of their household.

During this time Police will continue to provide essential policing services.

Find out more

Family Violence Information Disclosure Scheme (FVIDS)

This page explains how potential victims of family violence, or concerned relatives or friends, can request information relating to the violence history of a new partner. The aim is to enable a partner of a previously violent individual to make informed choices about whether and how they continue the relationship.

Who can ask for a disclosure?

Any person can make enquiries about a person they are in a relationship with if they have concerns about their safety. Any concerned third party, such as a parent or friend can make an application however; they would not necessarily receive the information about the individual concerned. It may be more appropriate to provide the information to the partner or another person who is best placed to protect the potential victim.

What safeguards are in place for women in terms of privacy?

The Official Information Act and Privacy Act already enable Police to disclose family violence information about an individual. Disclosure of information will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Police can only provide information if the relevant legislation permits.

How should an individual make an application?

There are many ways you can contact the Police to request information about the violence history of your intimate partner or the intimate partner of someone else. You can:

  • Visit a police station
  • Speak to a member of the police on the street
  • Phone 105, the non-emergency number for Police

If you consider there is immediate risk to your safety, call 111.