About Infringement Services

The role of the Police Infringement Bureau is to assist the public with fair and accurate processing of infringement notices.

Police issue infringement notices in response to offending that is in breach of the law, such as speeding (these notices are often called speeding tickets or speeding fines), not wearing a seat belt or using a mobile phone while driving. A set infringement fee is imposed as a standard penalty and is written on the notice with a date when payment is due.

Research demonstrates that enforcement of traffic offending reduces the occurrence of fatal and serious injury crashes. Infringement notices enable Police to respond to offending in a manner that holds people accountable for their actions, encouraging future legal compliance and safe practices, but without a more serious court prosecution.

Many people call infringement fees 'fines', but technically the fees only become fines if they are not paid on time. This process is explained below.

  • Request a safe speed camera photo

    Safe speed cameras detect speeding vehicles or running of red lights and an infringement notice is sent to the owner of the vehicle. If you receive an infringement notice and you want to find out who was driving, you can request a photo. Static (fixed) and mobile safe speed cameras are designed to photograph vehicles, not drivers. It is the vehicle owner's responsibility to identify who was driving at the time of the offence. 

    Safe speed camera photo requests are free and cannot be actioned over the phone.

    There are two ways you can request a photo:

    Online: Safe speed camera photo request online form

    By mail: Print and complete a Safe speed camera photo request form (PDF, 62KB) and post it to the address found at the bottom of the form.

    Requests for safe speed camera photos can only be made in writing by the person named on the original notice or an authorised representative of a company or incorporated body.

  • Request my Police infringement history

    If you need to authorise someone to act on your behalf, submit the following form with your application.

  • PIB contact details

    Police Infringement Bureau


    0800 105 777 NZ landlines only
    (+64 4 381 0000 mobile phones and international calls)


    Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

    Explanations about infringement notices are not permitted by phone as your intention must be clearly stated in writing.

    Online Forms:

    General enquiries

    All forms

    Email Enquiries:

    General: ticket@police.govt.nz

    Payment: payment@police.govt.nz


    Police Infringement Bureau
    PO Box 9147
    Wellington 6141
    New Zealand



    From time to time Police become aware that people are receiving emails which appear to be from NZ Police to advise them they have been issued an infringement notice.

    Police do not send infringement notices via email. Instead, they are processed electronically via the officer’s mobility device and sent by post to the person’s address.

    This is a timely reminder to members of the community to verify the origin of all requests for money before paying, even if they appear to be a reputed company or government agency.
    If you have received an infringement and have a query please email us using the addresses below.


  • Transfer liability for the offence to someone else’s name

    Vehicle owners are liable for offences detected by safe speed cameras, including red light cameras; however if the owner was not the driver or person responsible for the vehicle at the time the owner may transfer liability for the offence to the person who was.

    Complete the statutory declaration below and send it to the Police Infringement Bureau, PO Box 9147, Wellington 6141. You must sign the form and it must be witnessed by an authorised person for example a Justice of the Peace, Solicitor, Registrar or Deputy Registrar of the High Court or District Court, an authorised Police officer. The statutory declaration cannot be accepted if it is not witnessed by an authorised person.

    The liability for the infringement notice will be transferred to the person named on the statutory declaration and a new infringement notice will be sent to them.

    If the statutory declaration is not accepted, you will either have to pay the fee or contact the Police Infringement Bureau before the final due date and tell them if you want to take other action.

    Contact the Police Infringement Bureau.

    If the infringement notice is already filed with the Ministry of Justice, the matter is in their jurisdiction and enquiries must be directed to them.

    Contact the Ministry of Justice.

  • Can I authorise someone to act on my behalf for the purposes relating to my infringement notice?

    To authorise someone to act on your behalf, download the Pro-forma: Authority to act on my behalf for the purposes relating to my infringement notice(s) form (PDF, 47KB) and post it to the Police Infringement Bureau, PO Box 9147, Wellington 6141, or upload it on the online form requiring this.

  • Infringement Ticket Process

    Police have streamlined the process for the way infringement notices are issued for driving offences at the roadside.

    Instead of handing out paper infringement notices at the roadside, Police officers now issue infringements electronically through their mobile devices. The infringement will then be sent directly to the person’s postal address.

    This reduces the amount of paperwork for Police staff, and provides a greater opportunity to engage in conversations with motorists regarding safer driving behaviour.

    Please note: the infringement notice will not be handed to you; it will be posted to the address that you have provided.

    The process is the same for safe speed camera infringement notices (static camera or red light camera),  these infringements will be entered against the registered owner of the vehicle and posted to the owner address as supplied to the New Zealand Transport Agency.

    Infringement fee(s) are payable within 28 days from the offence date on the original notice. Once this period has expired a reminder notice will be issued, giving you a further 28 days to finalise the matter with Police. If unpaid by the final due date; the matter will be transferred to the Ministry of Justice.