Information for victims of crime

Victims information website

People affected by crime can find information about the justice system and support services on the Victims information website.

Visit the Victims Information website.

Police support for victims of crime

If you are a victim of a crime it can be a stressful and unsettling experience, whatever the scale of the crime. For victims of a serious crime the impacts can be traumatic and harrowing. Depending on how the crime has affected you, it is likely you will need support to get through it. We will try to make sure you are put in touch with the right agencies that can give you support and information.

If you are the victim of serious crime you will have a police officer assigned to your case. This person will be able to keep you up-to-date with what is happening right through the investigation.

You can contact the officer in charge of your case by visiting the police station or by using the phone or email details you will be given.

Victim Notification Register

If you are the victim of a serious crime, Police can help you stay informed about the person who offended against you if they are sentenced to imprisonment or home detention. This will help improve your peace of mind, as you will know if your assailant is in prison or not.

We do this by receiving and verifying applications to be put on the Victim Notification Register. To find out more visit the Department of Corrections' Victim Notification Register website.

If you want to go on the Victim Notification Register, download the victim request form  and complete and submit it to us either by the freepost address provided, or email it to

Once an application is confirmed, Police send the details of the offender and victim to the relevant government agencies for action.

Under the Victims' Rights Act 2002 you may be eligible to receive notifications if:

  • you have been a victim of a sexual offence or a serious assault
  • the offence resulted in a serious injury, the death of a person, or a person being made incapable
  • you have been a victim of another kind of offence which has led you have ongoing fears for your physical safety or that of a member of your immediate family.

Note: A parent or legal guardian of a child or young person under the age of 17 who has been the victim of an offence, is also deemed to be a victim under the Act.

Ask the police officer in charge of the case to see if you meet the criteria to receive information on:

  • bail
  • release dates
  • temporary release from prison
  • escape from prison
  • home detention
  • hospital detention
  • possible deportation of the offender

Police Safety Orders

A Police Safety Order (PSO) is issued in circumstances where Police believe, on reasonable grounds, that family violence has occurred or might occur. The order lasts for up to five days, but more usually one or two days.

When a PSO is issued, the person bound by the order must leave the address while the PSO is in force, even if they own the address and/or normally live there. The purpose of a PSO is to protect the person at risk from violence, harassment or intimidation.

For more information about PSOs see Police Safety Orders.

Getting help

The Ministry of Justice website contains several resources for crime victims.

Help for crime victims and their families is available through the website of Victim Support.

The Victim Support website also contains information about financial assistance.

Information for victims, including how to make submissions about an offender having a parole board hearing, is available on the website of the New Zealand Parole Board.

The contact details of organisations that help crime victims can be found on their websites.

The website of New Zealand Legislation contains a copy of the Victims' Rights Act 2002.