Can I take part in search and rescue operations?
Yes, if you join Land Search and Rescue groups or Coastguard New Zealand and undertake the necessary training including courses like tracking and search methods.
NZ Land Search and Rescue has over 3000 trained volunteers. There are roles for people with:
- good basic bushcraft skills, reliable outdoor gear and reasonable fitness
- computer networking, information management and/or key-boarding skills
- radio or electronics skills.
Coastguard New Zealand has 1800 volunteers crewing 75 rescue vessels around the country. Coastguard members may:
- crew rescue vessels
- train as air observers on the Coastguard Air Patrols
- run the search base headquarters
- take roles in administration.
For more information see: