What are the requirements for applying?
You will need a current and valid prescription, and a copy of the label from the container in which the drug(s) were dispensed in.
How to apply
For a medical defence to be considered, please complete the following steps:
- You can complete and submit your application online.
Alternatively, download the Medical Defence application form (PDF 141KB) and complete.
Send your application by email or post to:
Police Infringement Bureau
Mail: PO Box 9147, Wellington 6141
- Provide the following information with your Medical Defence application form:
- a copy of the current and valid prescription for the qualifying drug(s) you tested positive for; and
- a copy of the label from the container in which the qualifying drug(s) you have tested positive for were dispensed in; and
- any other relevant information you wish to have considered.
We are unable to assess your medical defence if insufficient information is provided or the information cannot be verified. This could result in your medical defence application being declined.
If you require further information about the process or your rights, you should seek professional legal advice.