Wellington Queenâ€™s Counsel, Bruce Squire is the senior barrister who will look into allegations about the Police undercover programme.
In announcing the appointment today, Police Commissioner, Rob Robinson said that Mr Squire would:
▪ Assess the allegations made on the Holmes programme
▪ Consider similar allegations made by former undercover officers to a Parliamentary Select Committee in 1996
▪ Review a previous Police inquiry into those matters
Following Mr Squireâ€™s assessment of the above matters he would then report to Commissioner Robinson with recommendations on whether or not any further inquiries might be required.
Mr Robinson said Mr Squire would provide an estimated date for reporting back once he had an opportunity to assess the task. Police would provide Mr Squire with whatever support he needed to carry out his brief and the results of his work would ultimately be made public.
Bruce Squire, QC:
▪ 30 years practice in law
▪ 12 years as a Queenâ€™s Counsel
▪ Wide range of experience in the criminal law both as a prosecutor and a defence counsel.
Bruce Squire (04) 473 1833.