Friday, 3 December 2004 - 9:01am |
National News

Update - Mt Taranaki recovery

1 min read

An Air Force Iroquois helicopter is on standby at New Plymouth waiting for a suitable opportunity to transport a small number of personnel to the plane crash site at the summit of Mt Taranaki.

The helicopter is currently unable to fly to the site due to strong winds.

The situation will be continually re-evaluated until the weather conditions are favourable.

The helicopter will enable the high alpine personnel, Police staff and specialist equipment to be transported to and from the top of the mountain quickly.

It is estimated it will take several hours to dig snow away from the aircraft to establish how the bodies will be able to be removed.