Police and Plunket are combining resources during the first two weeks of July to promote the safe and correct use of child restraints.
Representatives of the two agencies will be visiting pre-schools across Christchurch to talk to parents and caregivers and check that child restraints have been correctly installed.
Senior Sergeant Dean Harker Canterbury Road Police say the main aim of the campaign is to educate parents and caregivers on the correct fitting of child restraints in vehicles.
"We will be working along side Plunket during this operation and they will be assisting in the checking of child restraints in vehicles.
"Having a child restraint in the car is great - but it's important that it is correctly fitted and used. Correct use can literally make the difference between life and death.
"What we hope to achieve is better awareness of correct use, and improved safety for preschool children travelling in vehicles."
Police and Plunket will make a total of 12 visits to six different preschools in the first two weeks of July.
Road safety campaigners from Christchurch City Council will also attend the pre-school sessions to promote their Driveway Runover safety campaign.
Also as part of the campaign, Police have arranged for Ronald McDonald to perform a Road Safety Show for children in early August at Linwood Avenue Primary School.
"This show will tie in well with our child restraint operation, and is a way to say thanks to the preschools involved," says Senior Sergeant Harker. "We will also have a Police dog on hand to 'meet and greet' and perform some tricks for the children."
The operation will be run outside the following preschools:
• Monday 1 July: Bromley Kindergarten, 33 Keighleys Road, 8.15-9.15am
• Tuesday 2 July: Edmonds Smith Street Kindergarten, 21 Smith Street, 8.00-9.00am
• Wednesday 3 July: ABC Salisbury Street, 150 Salisbury Street, 7.30-9.30am; Linwood Kindergarten, 24 Rochester Street, 2.30-3.30pm
• Thursday 4 July: Richmond Kindergarten, 41 North Avon Road, 8.15-9.15am
• Friday 5 July: Phillipstown Kindergarten, 533 St Asaph St, 8.00-9.00am
• Tuesday 9 July: Edmonds Smith Street Kindergarten, 8.00-9.00am; Linwood Kindergarten, 8.15-9.15am
• Wednesday 10 July: Richmond Kindergarten, 8.15-9.15am; ABC Salisbury Street, 7.30-9.30am
• Thursday 11 July: Phillipstown Kindergarten, 8.00-9.00am
• Friday 12 July: Bromley Kindergarten, 8.15-9.15am