Operation Kennedy Release 4
15 May 2008
Police investigating last week's stabbing of a Te Aroha toddler charged his mother with inflicting the injury today.
The 2-year-old was stabbed at his Centennial Ave home on 5 May, the boy's wound necessitated hospitalisation of the child.
He was discharged from Waikato Hospital on Sunday after having received specialist medical care and is recuperating at home with family.
Head of Operation Kennedy, Detective Sergeant Rod Carpinter, of Matamata-Piako CIB said the boy's mother had previously been charged with assaulting him.
"But the new charges reflect the extent we believe his mother was involved in the stabbing," said Mr Carpinter.
"Though we can not comment on the domestic arrangements for the boy's continuing care I can confirm Police and local Child Young and Family staff are working closely to help the family deal with this tragic incident."
The mother will be appearing in the Hamilton District Court tomorrow.
N.B. Waikato Police understand name suppression is being sought on behalf of both the victim and accused and media are advised it is their responsibility to clarify such conditions with the court.