Thursday, 8 January 2009 - 8:26pm |

Man found with serious head injuries

2 min read

Police in Palmerston North are trying to find out how a man ended up in Tweed Street with a fractured skull.

Police were called around 12.35 this morning (Thursday, 8 January) by a security guard serving a noise abatement notice at a house in the street where it is believed a party was being held. As he served the notice he saw an unconscious man in the garden of the property.

Police and ambulance attended and the man, a 34-year-old from the town, was taken to Palmerston North Hospital where he is currently in an induced coma.

Police have been told that the man was initially discovered lying unconscious in the road further up Tweed Street and that he had been carried to the address and placed in the recovery position when the noise abatement officer arrived. Blood has been discovered in the road.

It is still unclear as to why the victim was in Tweed Street in the first place. It is known he is a factory worker who is believed to have been working until 10pm last night (Wednesday) and that he had made and received text messages around midnight but to date no-one in the street has claimed to know the victim or give any explanation as to why he was there. He does not live nearby and the street is not on his route home. His vehicle has been recovered parked up in Tweed Street.

Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Cliff Brown said: "Unless we find evidence to the contrary we have to treat this as if it is a serious assault. Although the victim was roused by ambulance crews he has been in no condition to speak and it may be some time before he is able to."

Police are aware of a disturbance in the street earlier in the evening (aound 11pm). Residents have reported seeing three young men on bikes and a man, who was not the victim, lying apparently intoxicated in the street. The youngsters on the bike picked the man up and moved on. This may be completely unrelated but some witnesses have commented on the fact that the behaviour of this group was of general concern and at least one local resident felt concerned enough to cross the road to avoid them.

Police have been speaking to residents in the area and this will continue along with other enquiries.

Anyone who was in the area of Tweed Street last night or early this morning who saw or heard anything suspicious is asked to contact Detective Sergeant Dave Thompson on 06 351 3812 or the Palmerston North Crime Line on 0800 808585.

Media enquiries should be referred to Communications Manager Kim Perks on 06 351 2546 or 027 234 8256.