Request other information (Official Information Act)

The Official Information Act 1982 (or OIA), enables you to make a request for official information held by government agencies, including New Zealand Police. New Zealand citizens, permanent residents, visitors to New Zealand, and body corporates registered or with a place of business in New Zealand can make a request under the OIA. You can expect the information to be made available unless there is good reason to withhold it.

Note: Some information should be requested through other groups/agencies:

  • Criminal record (Police clearance certificate)

    Requests for your criminal record (or a criminal conviction history) should be done through the Ministry of Justice.

  • Criminal disclosure

    If you are a defendant requesting information about ongoing criminal proceedings, your access to information will be managed within the provisions of the Criminal Disclosure Act 2008 and not the Privacy Act. You or your lawyer should contact the Police Officer in charge of the case for further information.

  • Family violence information

    If you are a potential victim of family violence, or a concerned relative or friend, you can request information relating to the violence history of a new partner.  You can find more information at Family Violence Information Disclosure Scheme

  • Deceased person

    Sudden death inquiries are referred to the coroner and governed by the Coroners Act.  The Ministry of Justice’s Coronial Services webpage may be able to assist you if you want to request information about a deceased person or about you in relation to a sudden death.  If the coroner’s case is currently open, you may be entitled to ask for specified information directly from the coroner (e.g. post-mortem report for immediate family).  If the coroner’s case has been closed, you can request information from the coronial file.  For other information that may be held by Police about a sudden or suspicious death, please make a request to Police under the Official Information Act or the Privacy Act.

  • Vetting process for visas

    Find information about Police’s vetting service for visas at our Vetting section.

  • Traffic infringement queries

    You can find information about requesting information on traffic infringements at Police Infringement Services.

  • Demerit point queries

    For enquiries about demerit points, contact the New Zealand Transport Agency.

  • Traffic crash report

    To request a traffic crash report, go to our Traffic Crash Report section

  • Reparation reports

    For information about reparation, including receiving or paying reparation, please visit the Ministry of Justice’s website.


If your information request does not belong to any of the above categories, please proceed with making your request for official information.

Make a request

Before making a request, please check our frequently asked questions.

Your request should be as clear and specific as you can possibly make it. Telling us the reason for your request will help us understand what you want, and limiting the scope will help us process it more quickly.

You can complete and submit your request online.

Alternatively, you can download the Request for Official Information form (PDF 563KB) and deliver your completed request by email (if known), by hand, or by post to your nearest Police station or District Headquarters, or Police National Headquarters.

You can also make your request by phone or in person. We will either confirm it in writing ourselves or, if we are not sure what you’re seeking, we may ask you to put it in writing.