I need to engage a private security professional; what do I need to think about to ensure I get someone with the right skills and experience?
Private security professionals play a central role in protecting crowded places.
In many cases, private security professionals - including security consultants and contractors, risk analysis and threat assessment experts and private security officers - are directly responsible for strengthening the protective security of crowded places. They must be well-trained and professional to be effective.
Implementing effective protective security
Implementing protective security measures can be a complex process which, if done incorrectly, can be costly and ineffective.
The documents and tools on this website provide a starting point for owners and operators to undertake a protective security assessment of their crowded place, implement the appropriate mitigations, monitor them for effectiveness (including thorough audits) and review them at appropriate times. In many cases, owners and operators will need to seek further advice from private security professionals.
Assessing security consultants?
The following are factors that owners and operators of crowded places should consider when selecting a security consultant:
- licenced or certified as a private security provider
- education, qualifications, skills, and experience
- referee reports
- security clearance (where required/appropriate)
- professional association and affiliations
- previous experience conducting security reviews
- ability to effectively undertake the security review (subject matter knowledge)
- impartiality of advice (consider any commercial affiliations)
- published professional work
Specific skills and experience to consider may include:
- security strategy and planning
- security auditing
- risk and threat mitigation
- protecting different types of crowded places e.g. shopping malls, large office complexes, transport hubs, festivals, events and mass gatherings
- capability to offer training for you and your staff