Monday, 8 December 2003 - 4:53pm |

Mt Cook conditions good for climbing but take care

2 min read

8 December 2003

There has been a third accident on Mt Cook this morning, the third in two days.

At about 11.35am this morning, a 26-year-old Australian cimber slipped and slid approximately 150 metres down a 35 - 40 ice slope, while traversing Mt Annette, about 1 kilometre from the Mueller Hut, in the Aoraki/Mt. Cook National Park.

As a result of the fall, he was knocked unconscious and suffered from bad ice-friction burns to both forearms, as well as numerous other grazes and lacerations to his legs, lower back and face. His helmet was ripped off in the fall.

He was climbing with two other Australian climbers, who raised the alarm.

Members of the Aoraki/Mt.Cook DOC Alpine Cliff Rescue Team recovered the climber, who was then flown by helicopter to the Aoraki/Mt. Cook SAR Base, and then transferred to Timaru Hospital by Ambulance.

His climbing partners were uninjured.

Conditions at the time were described as excellent, with a hard base of solid ice in the area. ll climbers were appropriately equipped, and are experienced climbers.

Conditions are excellent for climbing say staff there, but please be conservative about your ability says Grant Prattley, DOC, head of rescues.

"Don’t over extend yourself," he says. "The snow is hard but extremely unforgiving of people who make a mistake."

There are a lot of people in the park enjoying the top conditions.
Climbers are advised to check conditions with DOC staff when they log in at the Visitors Centre.

Most climbers are well prepared say police staff.

At 7.00am Sunday 7 December a rescue mission was undertaken after a climber was reported injured in the Aoraki Mt Cook National Park

A party of four had left Empress Hut in the early hours of the morning. At 3.00am while ascending the Nor West Coulior (2700 m) of Mt Cook, two climbers were struck by falling ice. One of the climbers received a puncture wound and a fractured arm.

The four managed to descend back to the Empress Hut where they raised the alarm.

Two Mt Cook SAR Team rescuers and a Helicopter from "The Helicopter Line" flew in at 7.30am and rescued the two climbers.

The injured man aged 28 from Christchurch was taken to Twizel and then Timaru Hospital for Medical treatment.

The second rescued man, who was from the Bay of Plenty, received no injuries.

The climbing party was well equipped and made all the correct decisions once the accident had occurred.
At 7.00am this morning, Monday, a Search and rescue Mission was undertaken after a climber was struck by an ice fall while climbing in the Aoraki Mt COOK National Park.

A party of three were climbing on the Dixon Ice Cliffs when the group was showered by `television size’ rocks. Two of the party were struck, one receiving facial and shoulder injuries. The second two were uninjured. It is thought that several tonnes of ice fell during the incident.

They managed to get back to Plateau Hut and raise the alarm.

This morning two rescuers from the Mt Cook SAR team and a Helicopter airlifted the injured climber to Mt Cook Village.

He is being treated for his injuries which include a dislocated shoulder.
The three were Australian Climbers and the injured man is aged 28.
He was treated by a doctor at Twizel then taken to Timaru Hospital.