Wellington Police are reminding motorists that their vehicles will be towed if found in temporary no parking areas near routes associated with the Return of the Unknown Warrior ceremonies.
Buckle Street â€“ site of the National War Memorial and a focal point for todayâ€™s ceremony â€“ is closed to all traffic from 6am to 6pm. Diversions are in place but traffic will be very slow on alternative routes.
Apart from traffic congestion, police report no problems as at 11.15am.
• Road closures from 9am to 2pm: Aitken Street (Molesworth to Mulgrave Streets), Lambton Quay (Bowen to Molesworth Streets), Hill Street (Molesworth to Tinakori Road), Molesworth Street (Lambton Quay to Pipitea Street).
• Road closures from 11am to 2pm: Lambton Quay (Bowen to Willis Streets)
• Rolling road closures â€“ 12 noon/12.30pm to 1.30pm: Cuba Street (Wakefield to Manners Streets), Manners Street (Cuba to Taranaki Streets), Mercer Street (all), Taranaki Street (Manners to Webb Streets), Victoria Street (Harris to Wakefield Streets), Wakefield Street (Victoria to Cuba Streets), Willis Street (Hunter to Boulcott Streets).
• Temporary parking restrictions 6am to 2pm â€“ No parking at all times
Aitken Street and Hill Streets (both sides and all of street); Manners Street (Cuba to Taranaki â€“ all), Molesworth Street (Lambton Quay to Pipitea Street â€“ all); Willis Street (Boulcott to Hunter Streets â€“ all); Cuba Street (Wakefield to Manners Streets â€“ all); Lambton Quay (both sides and all), Taranaki Street (Manners Street to Webb Streets), Wakefield Street (Victoria to Cuba Streets â€“ all).
• No parking â€“ temporary bus stops 6am to 2pm
Customhouse Quay (outside Shed 11), Jervois Quay (outside Frank Kitts Park), Wakefield St (Blair to Allen), Customhouse Quay (Brandon to Johnston), Jervois Quay (Harris to Willeston Streets), Wakefield Street (Behind Reading Cinema).
There will be delays on bus services but people will still be able to travel as far as Courtenay Place and the Railway Station on shuttle buses which will use the waterfront routes.
Buses will not be able to use the procession route while the procession travels from St Paulâ€™s to the National War Memorial.
Bus travellers can check with the Ridewell Service Centre on 04 801 7000. Kapiti Coast and Wairarapa callers can phone toll free 0800 801 700.
Wellington Police District communications manager
Tel: 04 496 3464 or 0274 373 020