How to report a crime

There are various ways you can report a crime. Always call 111 in an emergency.

Emergency: call 111

Call 111 and ask for Police when:

  • someone is badly injured or in danger
  • there's a serious risk to life or property
  • a crime is being committed and the offenders are still there or have just left
  • you've come across a major public inconvenience, such as trees blocking a highway
  • any of these things are happening now or have just happened.

If you can't decide if it's a real emergency and you're still worried, call 111 and ask us. We'll help you work out what to do.

An emergency TXT service for people with hearing or speech difficulties is available if you have difficulty hearing or talking on the phone. You can register now for the 111 TXT service.


Reporting online

You can now report shoplifting (theft from shop), lost property, theft from a vehicle, general theft or intentional property damage (to buildings, vehicles and other possessions) online.

This is phase one of our Online Reporting Trial as we modernise our service channels to make it easier for people to engage with us.

Online Reporting (non-emergency)

Important: Use Google Chrome or the latest version of Safari to complete this report.

When using a tablet or smartphone to access the online reporting tool, a Wi-Fi connection may provide the best performance.

If you are using the online tool for the first time, and experiencing a loading issue, we suggest that you refresh.

Other online options are reporting:

Phone or visit your nearest police station:

  • to report incidents or crimes that have already happened (e.g. theft) some time in the past and a rapid police response is not likely to affect the outcome
  • for general enquiries.

Find your nearest police station.

Reporting crime by phone

If something you’re worried about is happening right now (e.g. a crime is taking place or if anyone's safety is at risk) ring 111. If your matter isn’t urgent please call your nearest station.

When you call your nearest station, the phone will be answered by our staff at the Crime Reporting Line (CRL). The call taker will collect as much information as possible and send you an email confirming your report has been received.

You’ll be transferred to your local station if:

  • your query can’t be resolved by the CRL call taker
  • you ask to speak to your local station or
  • there is a specific person you want to speak to at the local station.

Any report taken by Police will be analysed to see whether there is sufficient information to pursue. Police will contact you to let you know what action has been taken.

Reporting crime in person

Talk to the person at the front counter and they will tell you what to do next. You may be able to speak to an officer straight away.

Appointments aren’t always necessary, but to ensure someone will be there to assist you it is best to phone ahead – especially if your nearest station is a small or rural station. Find local stations and contact details.

Reporting rape or sexual assault

We understand that reporting a rape or sexual assault is very difficult, but we will make sure that you get the support you need to help you through. Get advice for victims of rape or sexual assault.

Report a bad driver or traffic incident

There are two ways to report bad driving and traffic incidents.

Urgent but not life-threatening driving incidents: Call *555

For incidents such as minor crashes (non-injury), continuous poor driving, traffic congestion, breakdowns and obstructions on the highway, call *555 from a mobile phone. *555 is not intended to take the place of the 111 emergency number. Always call 111 in an emergency. *555 calls are answered with less priority than 111 calls.

Non-urgent driving incidents

For driving incidents that are minor or no longer continuing to be a danger to the public, complete a Community Roadwatch report, either via the online Community Roadwatch form or at your nearest police station. No investigation or prosecution will take place for a Community Roadwatch report. If you wish the incident to be investigated with a view to the offender being prosecuted you must lodge a formal complaint at your nearest police station.

Report crime anonymously: contact Crimestoppers

Crimestoppers is an independent charity working to solve and prevent crime. It’s a way for people, who for whatever reason may be reluctant to tell Police what they know, to anonymously report information about crime and criminals via an independent third party. You can contact Crimestoppers anonymously when you know about a crime that has been, or is being committed, you suspect a crime is being planned, or any other activity you think is illegal. To report a crime anonymously:

  • Call Crimestoppers free on 0800 555 111. Crimestoppers gives an absolute guarantee that calls cannot be traced. Calls are not recorded and the caller ID number is not able to be viewed in the call centre.
  • Fill in the secure online Giving information form.

Find out more on the Crimestoppers website.

Report electronic crime

Reporting electronic crime is just like reporting any other offence. Call 111 in an emergency. For example, if you’ve received an electronic message with an immediate and believable threat such as "I'm coming around now and I'm going to kill you", that would be an emergency. You can report concerns about online incidents that may or may not be crimes under New Zealand law via Netsafe’s secure The Orb website. You can report objectionable material, scams or frauds, spam messages, privacy breaches and other problems.