The New Zealand Police Vetting Service provides Conviction History reports and other relevant non-convicted information on potential and current employees, volunteers, and vocational trainees. Vetting is provided for Approved Agencies who are responsible for the care, protection, or education of children, elderly or disabled, agencies involved in Law Enforcement or National Security, and agencies that have a legislative obligation to obtain a Police vet.
The purpose of a vetting application is determined by the applicable legislation and position applied for. For example, a Core Children’s Worker subject to the Children’s Act 2014, being vetted as a caregiver of children within a home or workplace setting; the purpose of this type of vetting application is the safety of a child.
The vetting service does not make a recommendation or decision regarding someone’s suitability for a position. A Police Vetting result is a point-in-time check that should form one part of any process for determining an applicant’s suitability for any professional registration, appointment, employment, or visa. The decision regarding the applicant’s suitability for a position is the responsibility of the Approved Agency.
A Police Vet is not a National Security Clearance. The NZ National Security Clearance process is managed in accordance with the New Zealand government security clearance requirements administered by the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS).
Agencies who do not meet our criteria and individuals wishing to obtain their own Conviction History report can request a Criminal Record Check from the Ministry of Justice.
Vetting Website Outage 21/02/2024 (Resolved)
Police Vetting Services had a technical issue this morning preventing access to the Police Vetting system from approximately 7am until 11:00am, this issue has now been resolved. We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.
Current Vetting Processing Time: As at 22/01/2024, the Police Vetting Service is processing 99.10% of all requests within 20 working days.
Contact: If you need to contact the Vetting Service, please email us at email@example.com.
Login to Vetting Services
Login with RealMe
* If this is your first time accessing the Vetting service, you will need to login with RealMe, then enter a Police ID and Activation code which was emailed to you by the Police Vetting team.
Things we do
- We process vetting requests submitted by approved agencies.
- We process vetting requests that are required as part of a Children’s Worker Safety Check under the Children's Act 2014.
- We process vetting requests for visas to selected countries
- We release information to an approved agency that is relevant to the purpose of the vetting request and has a degree of substantiation.
- We help approved agencies submit Australian Criminal History Check. (Australian criminal checks will incur a fee.)
Things we don't do
- We don’t process vetting requests from individuals.
- We don’t issue ‘Police Clearance certificates’. We do not have Police Certificate Clearance in New Zealand.
- We don’t make recommendations on the suitability of an individual for employment.
(Our role is to provide relevant information to an agency to allow them to make an informed decision.)
- We don’t provide legal advice or guidance on interpreting the Children's Act 2014.
- We don’t accept paper copies of forms. Vetting requests must be done online.