Retail Crime Prevention checklist
The Retail Crime Prevention checklist has been developed to help you think about all aspects of security for your store and suggest changes you could make to reduce risk of retail crime. Work through the checklist to see how secure your store is.
When you complete the checklist, you will receive an email with crime prevention advice to make your business safer for you, your staff, and your customers.
Preventing ram raids
For retailers, prevention is still the best defence against ram raids.
Police continue to investigate retail crime including ram raids and will hold offenders accountable, however ram raid prevention is not something Police can solve on its own.
We encourage retailers to discourage ram raids by installing steel bollards or other protective structures to act as a physical barrier and visual deterrents. We recommend making the investment to install the right protective equipment for your business.
Retail NZ has a list of crime prevention suppliers.
7 ways to prevent retail crime (English)
7 ways to prevent retail crime (Chinese)
Webinar from Retail NZ and NZ Police on retail crime prevention advice
Shop robbery prevention and what you should to do in a robbery
Crime prevention posters
Click on any of the below images to download a poster you can print.
You can also order posters from Retail NZ.
Crime prevention advice
- Guide to Crime Prevention Booklet
Download a copy of the crime prevention booklet, available in 6 languages
- Aggravated Robbery Report (PDF, 4MB)
The Aggravated Robbery Initiative CCTV Report has lots of tips and recommendations on what prevention measures help reduce victimisation
- Retail Crime Prevention Advice (PDF, 1.1MB)
Updated in December 2022, the retail crime prevention advice leaflet is a summary of advice to help keep yourself and your business safe from robbery, burglary, and shoplifting.
- CPTED Advice for Liquor Shops and licenced premises
For liquor stores and licenced premises there is good CPTED (crime prevention through environmental design) advice on the alcohol.org.nz website.
- Retail Crime Prevention Flyer (PDF 336KB)
- Retail Crime Prevention Checklist (PDF 238KB)
Useful partner resources
- Crime Prevention | Business East Tāmaki
- Retail crime: Low-cost ways to reduce your risk | business.govt.nz
Auror is a Retail Crime Intelligence Platform that has been developed to help retailers report, solve, and prevent crime. It enables this through a user-friendly interface which encourages more crime to be reported in a structured way. Retailers choose whether to share this information with NZ Police.
Auror is a tool that assists Police in working closer with businesses and the community to prevent and solve crime.
The Auror platform gives Police a range of information, including:
- intelligence on people and vehicles provided by businesses;
- digital access to evidence, including CCTV video files;
- electronic reporting of incidents through to the Crime Reporting Line;
- tools to communicate directly with the retail community, including CCTV retrieval, person alerts, and comments; and
- vehicle search capability.
The vGRID SaferCities tool, developed by NZ software company SaferCities, assists NZ Police work with retailers and other organisations to help prevent and solve crime in Aotearoa.
The vGRID SaferCity tool enables retailers, communities, councils and businesses to send photos, videos, and Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) information to Police.
vGRID provides Police instant access to:
- Live CCTV camera footage - all camera brands supported
- Live visual information from CCTV Operator Screens
- Real-Time vehicle number plate camera feeds and alerts against stolen or other plates of interest
- Historical ANPR search for investigations
- Automated CCTV footage requests from the community through vGRID VAULT