Driver licence

  • How do I find out more about demerit points?

    The website of the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) lists demerit points for speeding and other offences.

    If you get 100 or more demerit points within two years you will be suspended from driving for three months.

    There are no demerit points for safe speed camera infringement notices.

    Contact the NZTA 0800 822 422 for further information on your demerit points.

  • Request my Police infringement history

    If you need to authorise someone to act on your behalf, submit the following form with your application.

  • My car was impounded, who do I contact?

    The Police have authority under the Land Transport Act 1998 to impound motor vehicles.

    For further information regarding your impounded vehicle, please refer to the Impoundment Notice and/or contact your local police station.

  • Who do I contact about driver licences, vehicle registration and changes of ownership?

    The New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) looks after all driver licence, motor vehicle registration and change of vehicle ownership matters.

    For more information visit the NZTA website.

  • What should I do if I cannot find my driver licence?

    You must carry your driver licence with you at all times when driving. Drivers are required by law to produce their driver licence to an officer on request.

    By acting promptly to replace or renew your lost or stolen licence you’ll reduce the opportunity for it to be used in identity crime.

    Contact the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) phone 0800 822 422 or visit their website’s section on driver licensing(link is external).

    You can also report lost property online.


    Important: Use Google Chrome or the latest version of Safari to complete this report.

    When using a tablet or smartphone to access the online reporting tool, a Wi-Fi connection may provide the best performance.

    If you are using the online tool for the first time, and experiencing a loading issue, we suggest that you refresh.


    Or you can visit your local police station and complete a lost property report in person.

    When you report lost property to Police you will receive a Police Acknowledgement Form (PAF) with a reference number.

  • How do I get my overseas driver licence back?

    Application is to be made in writing to the Police Infringement Bureau for the return of your overseas licence or permit

    • after the mandatory 28 day suspension period has ended.
    • or when you leave the country.

    In your correspondence please supply the following:

    • Infringement Notice number
    • Suspension Notice number (if available)
    • Your full name and date of birth
    • Return postal address

    Our contact details are found on the back of your infringement notice or you can return your correspondence via our General Emails at:

    The Police Infringement Bureau do not hold any New Zealand Drivers Licences.

  • My NZ driver licence was taken by an officer, who do I contact to have it returned?

    Police do not hold New Zealand driver licences removed from a driver on the roadside. These are returned to the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) by Police.

    For more information, contact the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) phone 0800 822 422 or visit their website’s section on driver licensing.

  • What do I do when I have completed my compliance but my ticket has been transferred to the Ministry of Justice?
    Once the offence is filed with the Ministry of Justice the matter is in their jurisdiction and enquiries must be directed to them.

    Visit the Ministry of Justice web page on How to dispute a fine.

  • Can I complete my compliance over the phone or at a local police station?

    Compliance cannot be actioned over the phone or at a local police station.  

    For compliance to be considered, documentation that the offence has been rectified must be submitted to the Police Infringement Bureau before the final due date. 

    You can do this by completing the general enquiries form, or by post to Police Infringement Bureau, PO Box 9147, Wellington, 6141.

    All correspondence must include the infringement notice number.

  • Where do I send my compliance documentation/evidence?

    Documentation can be submitted via the general enquiries online form or by post to: Police Infringement Bureau, PO Box 9147, Wellington 6141.

    All correspondence must include the notice number.

  • What do I need to provide to complete my driver licence compliance?

    You must provide the Police Infringement Bureau with a copy of your updated or upgraded driver licence before the final due date.

    Police do not accept a test booking for driver licence compliance.

    Compliance does not allow the offender to continue committing the offence. It allows a certain amount of time to fix the problem rather than pay a fine or be prosecuted. Until the problem has been fixed the driver licence can not be used. 

    Send evidence of compliance with the infringement notice number via the general enquiries online form or by post to: Police Infringement Bureau, PO Box 9147, Wellington 6141.

    All correspondence must include the notice number. 

  • What is compliance?

    Compliance (or traffic compliance) is an alternative to paying a traffic infringement fee or prosecution for a limited number of offences (child safety restraints, WoF (Warrant of Fitness), CoF (Certificate of Fitness), minor vehicle defects, driver licences, cycle helmets, cycle lighting and vehicle licensing) where an Infringement Offence Notice (ION) has been issued.

    Compliance is offered at the discretion of Police and is written on the infringement notice by the issuing officer when the offence matches the qualifying criteria.

    The fee associated with an Infringement Offence Notice can be waived if the infringement notice holder (owner or driver) supplies evidence to the Police Infringement Bureau that the fault or defect has been fixed or a requirement has been met within the specified time period.

    Proof of Compliance can be submitted via email using the general enquiries online form or by post to: Police Infringement Bureau, PO Box 9147, Wellington 6141.

    If the fault or defect is not rectified then the infringement fee remains payable. Please pay the full fee - instalments and part payments are not accepted. Part paid fees will be returned and the infringement will remain due for payment, in one full amount, by the due date.  – (see payment link for further information if needed).