From time to time Police become aware that people are receiving emails which appear to be from NZ Police to advise them they have been issued an infringement notice.

Police do not send infringement notices via email. Instead, they are processed electronically via the officer’s mobility device and sent by post to the person’s address.

This is a timely reminder to members of the community to verify the origin of all requests for money before paying, even if they appear to be a reputed company or government agency.

If you have received an infringement and have a query please click on the 'Contact details' tab and submit your enquiry.


  • How do I dispute my infringement notice and what is required?

    You must write to the Police Infringement Bureau, PO Box 9147, Wellington 6141 or email the Police Infringement Bureau before the due date if you want to do any of the following:

    • raise a matter concerning the circumstances of the offence for consideration by a Police adjudicator
    • deny liability for the offence and request a court hearing
    • admit liability for the offence and request a court hearing and make submissions for the court to consider in a hearing
    • request a safe speed camera photo.

    You need to tell us the correct infringement notice number and clearly express your intentions or outline the details of your dispute or explanation. Phone explanations are not permitted as your intention must be clearly stated in writing. A Police adjudicator will consider your explanation or action your request for a court hearing and will reply to your correspondence.

    If you want to start court proceedings, we will transfer the matter to the Ministry of Justice and they will contact you. They may add court costs in addition to any penalty.

    For more information visit the Ministry of Justice website.

  • How long do I have to contest or dispute my infringement?

    You have until the final due date on your reminder notice to raise any matters concerning the circumstances of the offence. Time must also be allowed for the Police Infringement Bureau to respond in writing to these matters before the due date.

  • Can I dispute my infringement over the phone or at my local police station?

    Disputing an infringement can only be made in writing by the person named on the original infringement notice or an authorised representative of a company or incorporated body. 

  • How do I request a court hearing?

    To request a court hearing you can either:

    All corresondence must include the infringement notice number.

  • Can I plead guilty to my traffic offences and still request a court hearing?

    Yes, you can request a court hearing before the due date admitting liability for the offence. To request a court hearing you can either:

    All corresondence must include the infringement notice number.

    Submissions for the court to consider at this hearing can be included.

    For more information visit the Ministry of Justice website.

  • How do I dispute an infringement that has been referred to the courts?

    Once the offence is filed with the Ministry of Justice the matter is in their jurisdiction and enquiries must be directed to them.

    Visit the Ministry of Justice web page on How to dispute a fine.

    In some situations you can apply to the Ministry of Justice to have the matter returned to Police. You will need to ask for a 78B Application (PDF, 1.1MB) and provide evidence to support your application.

  • How can I make an official complaint about Police?

    Find out when and how to make a formal or informal complaint.

  • How do I contact Ministry of Justice?

    To contact the Ministry of Justice phone 0800 609 669 or visit their website www.fines.govt.nz.

  • How do I make a request for official information concerning my speeding offences?

    You may ask Police for official information you think Police holds. This type of information request is covered by the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA), not the Privacy Act 1993. The information may be available on the Police website, or you can make a request for it under the OIA.

    The OIA entitles you to ask Police for:

    • any specified official information
    • information about internal policies, principles, rules or guidelines
    • information about a person other than yourself

    Requests seeking information about another person (a third party) are processed under the Official Information Act. Considerations include:

    • the privacy of the other person
    • how old the information is
    • your relationship to the other person
    • the public interest in release.

    You may complete and submit your request online at http://forms.police.govt.nz/oiarequest.

    Alternatively, you may download the Request for official information form, or write a letter or email, and deliver your completed request by hand or post or email to your nearest Police station or District Headquarters or Police National Headquarters.

    Some guidance on making an OIA request is included on the Police form.

    You can expect a reply within 20 working days of receipt of your request, unless an extension of that timeframe is notified.

  • Can I authorise someone to act on my behalf for the purposes relating to my infringement notice?

    To authorise someone to act on your behalf, download the Pro-forma: Authority to act on my behalf for the purposes relating to my infringement notice(s) form (PDF, 47KB) and post it to the Police Infringement Bureau, PO Box 9147, Wellington 6141, or upload it on the online form requiring this.