The Road Safe series of resources provides learning activities to empower students to participate safely as responsible road users who are aware of their own place in the traffic environment, as well as that of others.
What students will learn
These year 2-3 resources will help students to learn:
- about traffic safety and traffic laws
- how to observe road hazards
- a range of safe practices that they can use when using the road as a pedestrian and passenger.
Four focus areas
Learning activities are arranged in four focus areas.
Focus area 1: Roads and traffic
Students learn why there are rules to keep safe on the way to and from school. They learn to identify parts of the road, specific road signs and markings, and where they are safest.
- Roads and traffic (PDF, 1MB)
- Roads and traffic (DOC, 828KB)
Focus area 2: On the move
Students learn the skills to walk safely on or near the road and to cross the road correctly.
- On the move (PDF, 2.8MB)
- On the move (DOC, 3.6B)
Focus area 3: By bus or by car
Students develop safety guidelines for travelling in a car or a bus.
- By bus or by car (PDF, 458KB)
- By bus or by car (DOC, 254KB)
Focus area 4: Managing hazards
Students recognise potential hazards in the traffic environment and make decisions about how to manage them. They consider who can help them in a traffic situation. They explore safe places to play.
- Managing hazards (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Managing hazards (DOC, 2.9MB)